7am - 8am
Normal school days 3pm - 6pm
Wednesdays from 2:30pm - 6pm
Noon Dismissals 12pm - 3pm
St. Therese Extended Care presents activities designed
to enhance the development of each child in the following areas:
• Recreational Pursuits
• Motor Skills
• Creative Expression
The experiences offered to enhance development in these areas include the following:
• Creative arts and crafts
• Imaginative play
• Table games
• Games and sports
• Homework help
These activities are implemented in differing environmental spaces, allowing children the opportunity to choose from a variety of experiences.
Extended Care Staff
As required by the Archdiocese of Portland, background checks are completed on each employee. New employees are also required to be fingerprinted. Staff members are supervised by the Principal.
Extended Care staff members are required to attend training workshops and in-services. This enables the staff to be up-to-date on emergency procedures.
Morning Extended Care hours: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
Students arriving before 8:00 a.m. are required to go to the MPC (gym) where they will have proper supervision.
Afternoon Extended Care hours:
• Normal school day 3:00/3:15 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Wednesdays 2:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
• Noon dismissal days 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Extended Care Program is not offered on holidays or vacation times.
Students are required to be checked into the Extended Care Program if they have not been picked up within 10 minutes after dismissal of school.
There is a non-refundable registration fee of $35 per family annually for students that attend St. Therese Extended Care. This fee helps to purchase snacks, toys, games, and craft supplies.
Extended Care is billed in half-hour segments. These segments begin on the hour and the half-hour. There will be no grace period. Any time used during a half-hour segment will be billed accordingly.
One child $3.00 / half-hour $6.00 / hour
Two children $5.50 / half-hour $11.00 / hour
Three or more children $7.50 / half-hour $15.00 / hour
Children must be signed in and out by an Extended Care staff person, a parent, or authorized adult in the presence of an extended care staff person. All parents and authorized adults picking up a child from extended care must have picture I.D available if asked by an Extended Care staff member. If students are not properly signed out, you will be charged for the full amount of time.
Students who are left at Extended Care after 6:00 p.m. will be charged at $1.00 per child / per minute. These charges will be billed with your regular extended care charges on a monthly basis. This is in addition to regular fees.
To ensure the safety and supervision of your child(ren), we employ the following system:
• Parent are asked to personally bring their child to the MPC for check-in.
• Students are signed in by designated Extended Care staff member.
• At 8:00 a.m. the Extended Care staff member brings the students to the playground/breezeway area where supervised play will continue until the first bell rings at 8:10 a.m.
• All students are checked into the program by an Extended Care staff member.
• Kindergarten students will be escorted to Extended Care by a teacher.
• Extended Care may begin in the MPC (gym) or in the Breezeway (depending on weather).
• Students then have the opportunity to choose what activity in which they will participate. (Student behavior may limit the choices of activities.)
• At 4:00 p.m. students are given a snack and may be taken to Room 105 in the upper level of the main school building. (see section below for pick-up instructions)
* At 3:00/2:30 p.m. students in grades K – 3 are dismissed to Extended Care (3:15/2:30 for students in grades 4 – 8)
The following procedures are employed to keep you child(ren) safe and under proper supervision:
• Pick-up is in one of two locations and may be time or weather dependant
1. Breezeway/MPC (gymnasium)
2. Room 105 (located at the front of the main school building.
Knock on the door for entrance.
• Parents or authorized persons must come to Extended Care.
• Every student must be signed out of the program everyday they attend extended care.
• Written notice must be given for a person to be designated to pick up a student.
• For safety reasons, all parents and authorized adults picking up a child from extended care must have picture I.D. available if requested by an Extended Care staff member.
• Read Carefully: If any individual authorized to pick a child up from Extended Care appears to pose an imminent danger to the health or well being of the child(ren), or staff, St. Therese Extended Care employees will contact local law enforcement and refuse to release the child(ren) pending investigation or to follow the instructions of the local law enforcement officers.
• If the individual authorized to pick up the child appears to be under the influence of intoxicants or appears to pose an imminent danger to the health or welfare of the child(ren), or staff, we will adhere to the following procedure:
1. If the individual in question is not a parent, we will attempt to contact a parent for further instructions. If we are unable to make contact or unable to obtain instructions which appear to correct the imminent danger of harm to the child(ren), or staff, we will contact law enforcement agents and will refuse to release the child(ren) until we have been authorized by those law enforcement agents.
2. If the individual is a parent, we will attempt to contact the other parent.
3. Harassment of staff, children, or parents is always inappropriate and may be grounds for immediate dismissal from the program.
The times indicated are general and subject to change as needs of the student population change.
Morning: 7:00 am – 8:00 am Sign-in and care in the MPC
Afternoon: 3:00 pm – 3:30 pm Sign-in and change clothes (times vary by grade dismissal)
3:15 pm – 4:00 pm Free play on playground or in MPC
4:00 pm Snack (provided)
4:30 pm – 6:00 pm Teacher directed activities, arts & crafts, games, videos**etc.*.
(Breezeway or Rm 105 depending on weather)
* Children are not to bring toys from home (including, but not limited to iPods, cell phones, or electronic games). There are plenty of games and toys available, but we are open to suggestions for purchase of new toys. We also suggest that gum, candy, and money also be left at home. St. Therese Extended Care is not responsible for the loss of personal items, which includes damage.
**Extended Care shows movies on an occasional basis. Extended Care will only show movies or short subjects with a “G” rating or of an age appropriate educational nature.
Inclement Weather Procedure
1. If St. Therese School is closed, there will be NO extended care available.
2. If there is a late opening, there will be NO extended care before school, however, there will be extended care after school.
3. Should weather conditions get worse during the time care is provided, St. Therese Extended Care may decide to contact parents and request your child be picked up as soon as possible.
The Extended Care staff has available to them emergency information on each student in the school. All students enrolled at St. Therese are required to have emergency information on file.
Please advise the Extended Care Director of any allergies, disabilities, fears, strong dislikes or other conditions which affect your child’s health, happiness, or ability to function in a group. While our goal is to meet the needs of every student, a child’s specific condition may limit our ability to care for him/her in this type of setting. Each case will be evaluated on its own merits and concerns or restrictions will be addressed with the parents privately. The staff and principal determine the ability of St. Therese Extended Care to meet special needs.
If there is any illness or injury to a child needing specific instructions or action, parents or guardians will be notified immediately. If you cannot be reached, the designated persons will be contacted. It is extremely important that information is current and up-to-date. If no one is available to respond, Extended Care will exercise its judgement depending on the situation.
If a child is suspected of having a communicable disease or fevers such as: rash, pink eye, diarrhea, or chicken pox, etc. he/she shall be isolated. The parent/guardian will be contacted to pick up the child as soon as possible.